BG Dimitrios SOULTANIDIS was born in 1967, joining the Hellenic Military Academy (Athens, GRC) in 1985 and graduating in 1989, commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant.
Following the Hellenic Army Aviation (HAavn) career path, he is a certified military helicopter and multiengine airplane pilot, having received his flight licenses in Greece and in the Unites States of America. He has logged more than 3.500 hours as a flight instructor and maintenance test pilot, in v arious rotor wing and fixed wing aircraft types.
His military carrier consists of a broad field of professional expertise, mainly focused on the operational and training domain. He performed command duties from the rank of 1st LT till nowadays, consecutively, at all levels. He was appointed to several assignments, to include:
• Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations (DCOS OPS) at NRDC-ESP, Betera, Spain
• Hellenic Army General Staff / Army Aviation Directorate (HAGS / Aavn Dir), as Chief Department, Athens, Greece
• Deputy Commander (DCOM) of the Hellenic Army Aviation Training Command (HAATC), LGAX, Greece
• Commanding Officer (COM) of the Hellenic Army Aviation Training Center, LGAX, Greece
• Director of the Operational Planning Department at Hellenic Supreme Joint War College (HSJWC), Thessaloniki, Greece
• Director of the International Joint Operations Planning Course (IJOPC) at Hellenic Supreme Joint War College (HSJWC), Thessaloniki, Greece
• Chief G3Air at OPS DIV / HQ EUROCORPS, Strasbourg, France
• Military instructor – GS Officer at Hellenic Supreme Joint War College (HSJWC), Thessaloniki, Greece
• Commanding Officer (COM) of the 3rd Army Avn Assault Bn, LGAX, Greece
• Commanding Officer (COM) of the 2nd Army Avn Support Bn, LGMG, Greece
He was a designated evaluator and advisor to the National Defense General Staff (HNDGS) for the selection process of the new Transport Helicopter for the Hellenic Army and Coast Guard. He has also been appointed by the Hellenic Army General Staff (HAGS) to the European Defence Agency (EDA) as a Representative to the “European Training Certification Centre for European Armies” and particularly as a country Project Manager at the Permanent Structured Cooperation (PESCO).
B.Gen. SOULTANIDIS has attended several NATO courses, to include: Staff Officer’s Orientation Course (SOOC), Comprehensive Operational Planning Course (COPC) and NATO Senior Officer Policy Course at NATO School, Oberammergau.
He has also successfully graduated from:
• The Hellenic Supreme Joint War College – HSJWC (Thessaloniki, GRC) as a General Staff Officer.
• The Hellenic National Defense College – HNDC (Athens, GRC), as a candidate Flag officer.
BG SOULTANIDIS’ military education besides the curricular courses, comprises a number of additional trainings, to include, Military Computers Programming Course, Hellenic Army Administration and Staff College, US Army Officer’s Advance Course (AVOAC, AL, USA), Hellenic Army PSY-OPS Advance Course.
Subsequently to the Hellenic Army Avn Rotary wing Qualification Course, he attended several advanced pilots’ courses in country and abroad, mainly:
• HA Avn School / Flight Instructor pilot Course
• ITA Navy Helicopter underwater emergency Egress course (Italy)
• HA Helicopter Maintenance test pilot Course.
• HA Night Vision Goggles Flight Qualification Course.
• US Army FlightSafety International Fixed wing Multi-Engine Qualification Course (FWMEQC, AL, USA)
• US Army FlightSafety International Fixed wing Multi-Engine Instructor Pilot Course (FWMEIPQ, AL, USA)
• Fixed wing Multi-Engine Maintenance test pilot Course
He has been awarded with all the decorations and commendations, provided accordingly for his rank, commanding and staff efficiency. Additionally, he has received a Distinguished Graduate Award Nomination from the Hellenic Army Chief of Staff for his performance at AVOAC (USA) and Commendations from the COM HQEC and the SHAPE / GRC NMR for his attribution as a Chief G3 Air, as well as, from the COM NRDC-ESP for his performance as DCOS OPS.
He was decorated from the COM HSJWC, for building and successfully running the International Joint Operations Planning Course (IJOPC) at HSJWC (GRC) and also from US Aavn, with the Knight of the Honorable Order of Saint Michael, for his contribution to the Aavn Branch.
He holds a Master degree (MA) in Strategic Security Studies (S3), at the International and European Studies Department of Panteion University of Social and Political Science (Athens, GRC).
He is married to Maria SERTI and they have one daughter and two sons.
BG SOULTANIDIS Dimitrios currently serves as Deputy Chief of Staff for Communications (DCOS COMM) at NRDC – GRC, in Thessaloniki, Greece.